Tuesday, May 19, 2009

"Losing Control & Liking It"

I have been reading through a book lately called "Losing Control & Liking It" by Tim Sanford, M.A. It has to do with parenting your teenager and what that should mean. Many of us (including myself) believe that we need to make sure that our children turn out OK because if they don't...well, let's just say, we are very concerned about what other people think of us (or our children) if we can't control them. Never mind the fact that it hurts us to see our children "go astray" or to fall down some path that could possibly lead to disaster. On the back of the book it says, "You can turn your home from a battleground to a birthplace of freedom for you and your teen. You're about to lose control--and we think you'll like it."

I have always been a "control-freak"...I like things done a certain way and done on schedule (you should see the lists that I can create AND they are all over the house). I like to know that my children are doing well in school, making friends, not embarrassing themselves (or me), and being polite and well-mannered. If you are like me and have a teenager yourself, you must know how frustrating this time can be for both yourself and your teen, who is now trying to become more independent of your "control". This is natural and eventually a desirable goal; however, it can be quite painful if you are both vying for "control" of his/her life. This is a great book for you to read.

In keeping with the theme, not only are my sons growing up and seeking independence from my control, but it seems that lately I can't even control things in my own life. There are many people leaving this summer and the whole dynamics of what I have gotten used to are going to change once again. We really thought that we would be in Pokhara by now, with a plane, and building a hangar. And I really thought that I would be able to speak the Nepali language by now. So, this morning, after a few days of feeling "out of control", and after telling God that He really needed to take control of things because it was just too hard for me,
I opened my Bible and here is what I read...
Psalms 81:6, 7

He says, "I removed the burden from their shoulders;
their hands were set free from the basket.
In your distress you called and I rescued you,
I answered you out of a thundercloud;
I tested you at the waters of Meribah." - Selah


A few weeks ago, I shared with you about how I felt like the Israelites who were wandering in the desert. And now, again, God has used another passage about the Israelites to show me that He is in control and all I need to do is to "lose control" and let Him release those burdens from my shoulders; to "set free my hands from the basket"...and you know what?...I just might "like it".

By they way, I would've loved to have posted the front cover of this book here in this post for you, but I don't know how to do that or know if it is even possible. Can anyone help me with this?

No comments: